Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What to do with Receiving Blankets

I love quilts! I have always wanted to make one and started sewing some blocks together to see how it would work. Not so good the first go round. Then I talked with someone who had done a couple of quilts and got a good hint on how to do a first quilt. The secret is to start off with strips of fabric. I started with my niece's blankets that my sister didn't want. I cut them into 5 inch wide strips and sewed them together in groups of 4. After that I cut them across the seam into 5 inch wide strips. I then alternated and sewed the strips together, found a nice complimentary color for the backing and a light weight fill and then tied it.

The result was a blanket that was good size for a crib, but not quite the final product that I wanted. I then started the same process with my daughter's blankets. This time I created 3 X 3 blocks and used a complementary fabric in between the squares and for the backing. I found a fill that was woven like a blanket that would work whether I tied it or not and the final quilt was the perfect size for my little one's full size bed and I had enough scrap left over to make a pillow.

The pillow from the left overs.
 Finished and laid on her bed to check the size.
 Did I mention that she LOVES her quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment